The 5-day Veterinary Social Work Intensive is designed to integrate knowledge obtained in three online modules and supervision sessions in the veterinary social work training program: 1) Animal Related Bereavement: Implications for Social Work Practice, 2) Compassion Fatigue Management, and 3) The Link: Violence Towards Humans and Animals. Through the techniques of observing, reflecting, and experiencing, the intensive will guide the participant through the process of “putting it all together” and practicing the skills required for veterinary social work.Click here for registration information for the 2019 VSW Intensive.
At the conclusion of this intensive participants will be able to:
- Describe the issues that are emotionally and socially challenging to animal related professionals
- Describe to clients what to expect in end of life care including euthanasia, body disposition, and memorialization
- Discuss animal abuse with clients and with the legal system
- Engage in grassroots interprofessional community organizing to address animal abuse
- Facilitate animal related end-of-life and treatment-decision making discussions with clients.
- Facilitate animal related end-of-life and treatment-decision making discussions between clients and animal related professionals
- Engage in ethical decision-making skills around animal related social work topics and situations
- Understand emotional, cognitive, and physical regulation techniques
- Have increased awareness about one’s own animal-related values, ethics, and triggers
-3 Modules-Compassion Fatigue Management, The Link: Violence Towards People and Animals, Animal Related bereavement: Implications for Social Work Practice.
-3 Supervision topic areas-Compassion Fatigue Management, The Link, Animal Related Grief and Bereavement
Availability: March, yearly.
NASW Approved? We apply for approval each year
-How much is the Veterinary Social Work Intensive?
-Will food be provided?
Yes! We will provide coffee, a light breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy free, and nut free options available upon request. We also have a small Starbucks/convenience store downstairs.
-When is the Veterinary Social Work Intensive?
The VSW Intensive is hosted on a Tuesday-Saturday in March, yearly.
-Will there be a block of rooms available?
We will reserve a block of rooms at a nearby hotel. Participants can choose to book there but they are not required.
-Where is the workshop hosted?
UT Veterinary Medical Center-2407 River Dr.-Knoxville, TN 37996
-What should I wear?
Dress comfortable! There will be field trip opportunities as well as opportunities to get up and move around.
-What should I bring?
Bring your laptop or a device that connects to the internet. Also bring a pin and paper.