AlignCare™ is a service of the Program for Pet Health Equity in the UT College of Social Work. Funded by a $2.8 million Maddie’s Fund Grant, AlignCare™ is a three-year project that will provide community-based financial support to families in need of effective pet care. Families’ selected for the program can receive basic care from enrolled veterinary providers. Through social services, public health programs, and nonprofits, pet owners will be screened to identify those who need priority support because of the mental and emotional health aspects of the relationships they share with their pets and their economic need.
Who is eligible? Licensed masters level social workers. Must be enrolled or plan to enroll in the Postgraduate Veterinary Social Work Certificate Program. Preferably in or near the following cities.
- Madison, WI (Application deadline 2/15/19)
- Knoxville, TN (Application deadline 3/1/19)
- Harrogate, TN (Application deadline 3/1/19)
- Asheville, NC
- Findlay, OH
- Pomona, CA
- Glendale, AZ
- Denver, CO
- Houston, TX
- Miami, FL
- Rural Nevada
How much is the scholarship?: The scholarship is $3500 per student.
What is required? In exchange for the scholarship VSW-CP post-graduate students will:
- Provide 500 hours of service learning for the Keystone Project
- Engage in grassroots organizing in the AlignCare™ regions
- Engage in case management for ™ families receiving services
- Provide support for end of life and treatment decision discussions
- Complete a keystone report about the experience
- Present the Keystone report at the next International Veterinary Social Work Summit
What are the benefits to VSW-CP Post-graduate students
In addition to the scholarship, VSW-CP Post-graduate students will be able to network with local animal related professionals in the AlignCare™ region. These networking opportunities will be rich tools for exploring and/or establishing partnership opportunities with animal-related professionals providing veterinary social work services.
How do I apply?
The application process includes submission of resume, transcript, a letter of intent, names and contact information of 3 references, and at least one live web meeting interview.