Skip to content

The Postgraduate Veterinary Social Work Certificate Program provides education for mental health professionals on the four areas of veterinary social work. This is not a degree program, it is a continuing education certificate.

Admission Requirements:

  • Applicants must have graduated from a CSWE accredited Social Work program with their Master of Social Work
  • Applicants must be registered with the health-related boards in their state of residence
  • If you are a licensed BSW, an MSW without a state registration or license, or a mental health professional that is not a social worker, click here for our waiving admission requirement policy.

Certificate Overview:

  • Modules: Online, self-paced, year-round availability, NASW CE approved
    • Compassion Fatigue and Conflict Management 
    • Animal Related Grief and Bereavement 
    • Animal Assisted Interventions 
    • The Link Between Human and Animal Violence
  • Supervision Sessions: Online video conference
    • 2 sessions per area of veterinary social work
    • Each session is two hours
    • Hosted once a year, dates TBD
  • Keystone Project: Proposals can be submitted after completion of related modules
    • participants must complete a keystone project that requires at least 250 hours of service learning. This piece of the certificate requires participants to take their new knowledge and turn it into action. The keystone component is flexible and is designed to help participants develop relationships and begin the process of making their goals come into being. This project is complete at a location of the certificate participants choosing.
    • Submit your proposal here.
  • Workshops: 3 workshops
    • Animal Assisted Interventions Workshop
      • NASW CE approved
      • Hosted once a year, dates TBD
      • Via zoom video conference
    • Veterinary Social Work Intensive
      • NASW CE approved
      • Hosted once a year, dates TBD
      • Via zoom video conference
    • 3-day International Veterinary Social Work Summit
      • October, biennially (2022, 2024, 2026)
      • Location TBD

Certificate participants can purchase each certificate requirement as they move through the program or they can pay in advance. Participants have 5-6 years to complete all of the requirements

Apply Now

Applications to the VSW-CP are accepted year round. Applicants will receive an email within typically 4 weeks after submission. Materials required for application are: letter of intent, resume or curriculum vita, official transcripts showing social work degree, your social work license number, and a photo. Since the VSW Certificate is not a degree program, no graduate school admission fees or GRE test scores are required. For additional application information, click the apply now link.

If you have a question, click here to send us a message. Using this form to contact use will get a quicker response than email.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Is this program 100% Online?

Almost! The majority of this program is hosted online. The only portion that may be in person is the International Veterinary Social Work Summit. Location TBD.

I’m a mental health professional, but not a social worker.  Can I earn the VSW Certificate?

Yes! We are now accepting master level mental health professionals that are not social workers. Please see our waiving admission requirement policy.     

The certificate awarded will read “Veterinary Mental Health Professional” rather than social worker.

I’m an animal related professional, not a social worker. Can I earn the VSW Certificate?

This program is specifically for social workers and mental health profesisonals. You might be interested in our Veterinary Human Support Certificate Program. 

I am not a social worker, mental health professional, or animal related professional. What are my options?

You do not qualify to enroll in the Postgraduate Veterinary Social Work Certificate, but you can complete our four online modules. These can be found under the “Education” tab on the menu. If you are interested in an social work degree, check out our UT MSSW Veterinary Social Work Certificate.

What do you mean by “registered with the health related boards in their state of residence”?

Social work licensure varies significantly by jurisdiction.  We do not require our applicants to be licensed to practice social work independently, but we ask that you be an LMSW, registered social work intern, or the comparable license for your state.

What if I have a social work degree, but am now a Licensed Veterinary Technician or Veterinarian?

Great!  Submit your applicable license with your other VSW application materials.

When can I apply to the postgraduate certificate program?

Applications are accepted year round! We review them on a monthly basis.

When is payment due for the certificate program?

Participants purchase each individuals step in the program as they move through the program. If you want to work on a module, then you purchase the module when you are ready. It is pay as you go. There is no need to pay for the entire program up front, though there is a 10% discount for those who choose to purchase everything upon acceptance into the program.

Is there a refund policy if I am no longer able to complete and online or face to face training?

Click here for our refund policy for our modules. Click here for our refund policy for face-to-face trainings.

I still have questions; what do I do?

If you have question, click here to send us a message.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.